Clinical Director Position Description
Volunteer Clinical Directors provide clinical leadership within their local A Home Within chapters. The time commitment is approximately two hours per week, and the primary responsibility is to ensure that the Volunteer Clinicians in their chapter are supported both clinically and professionally. Clinical Directors commit to ensuring that Clinicians feel valued, supported, and appreciated, and that they are productively connected to their peers and the broader AHW community.
Clinical Directors are supported by AHW staff including the Program Manager and Director of Programs and Research. Clinical Directors share responsibility with staff for ensuring that all Clinicians are connected with a Consultation Group. They partner with Consultation Group leaders and AHW staff to provide individual consultation as needed and engage in ongoing dialogue with the entire team regarding the experiences and needs of AHW Clinicians and their clients.
The three main elements of a Clinical Director’s responsibilities are:
- Work closely with the Program Manager and the Director of Programs and Research to vet, onboard, and match new Clinicians. Clinical Directors must maintain regular (at least monthly) telephone contact with the Program Manager.
- Ensure all Clinicians have access to Consultation Groups. Clinical Directors are expected to help recruit Clinicians and Consultation Group Leaders as well as assist with the formation and maintenance of a sufficient number of Consultation Groups to support the volunteers in their chapter.
- Partner with AHW staff to plan and host at least two community events per year. At least one event should be designed to build community among local Clinicians – a dinner, movie night or gathering for coffee – giving volunteers the opportunity to connect, build their professional networks, and be recognized and celebrated for their ongoing contributions. At least one event should be designed to promote A Home Within in the broader community. Clinical Directors also can plan and host local Continuing Education events, offering CE credit through AHW’s accreditation by ASWB, APA, and NBCC.
Requirements to serve as Clinical Directors include the following:
- Licensed mental health professional
- Completed volunteer application & interview with Clinical Director and/or Director of Programs and Research
- CV and three professional references
- Interested in or knowledgeable about trauma informed care
- Interested in or knowledgeable about the foster care population
- A natural ability to lead, present, and network
- Available at least two hours per week
- Committed to hosting between two and four annual events
- Committed to partnering with AHW staff to continuously recruit volunteers
- Committed to help train new Clinicians as needed
- Self-motivated, organized, flexible, and willing to learn